Dizzy, Motion Sick, or Off-Balance? It Might Be Connected to Your Migraines

This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.

Dizzy, Motion Sick, or Off-Balance? It Might Be Connected to Your Migraines

For a long time, I treated dizziness and migraines as two completely separate problems. Some days I'd feel unsteady in the car, or nauseated on an elevator, or thrown off by a busy grocery store aisle, and I just chalked it up to a bad day or an empty stomach. It wasn't until I started tracking everything, migraines included, that I noticed those "off balance" days kept showing up right before or during a migraine.

Turns out, that's not a coincidence. It's a well-documented connection called vestibular migraine, and once I understood it, a lot of confusing symptoms finally made sense.

What Vestibular Migraine Actually Is

Your vestibular system, located in your inner ear, is what helps you stay balanced and oriented in space. For a lot of people with migraines, this system is especially sensitive. That sensitivity can show up as dizziness, motion sickness, a feeling of the room tilting, or trouble with quick head movements, sometimes even without a headache at all.

The tricky part is that these symptoms can happen before, during, or completely separate from the pain phase of a migraine. That's part of why so many people don't connect the two. You might just think you're prone to carsickness, or that elevators have always bothered you, without ever linking it back to your migraine pattern.

Why This Matters for Tracking

Once I started logging dizziness and balance issues alongside my usual migraine symptoms, a pattern showed up fast. Weeks where I noted more motion sensitivity were almost always weeks where my migraine frequency went up too. It became one more early signal I could watch for, not just a random annoyance to push through.

This is exactly the kind of connection that's nearly impossible to see without writing things down consistently. A dizzy afternoon here and there means very little on its own. But dizziness showing up three times in the same week that also included two migraines? That's a pattern worth paying attention to.

What Actually Helps

Staying properly hydrated has made a noticeable difference for me here. Dehydration can worsen both migraine frequency and vestibular symptoms, so keeping up with water intake does double duty. I still rely on a bottle with time markers to stay consistent throughout the day, since I stopped trusting myself to just remember.

I've also kept up with magnesium glycinate daily. Magnesium plays a role in nerve signaling throughout the body, including the systems involved in balance and spatial orientation, and it's part of the routine that's helped lower how often I get hit with both migraines and dizzy spells together.

When a dizzy spell and a migraine show up together anyway, I keep the room dim, sit or lie down until things settle, and reach for a cooling migraine cap. Cold therapy doesn't fix the vestibular piece, but it helps take the edge off the pain while my body recalibrates.

Track It Before You Try to Explain It

If you've ever wondered whether your car sickness, your elevator dread, or that tilting-room feeling is somehow related to your migraines, the answer is often yes, and the only real way to know for sure is to start writing it down.

I log dizziness and balance symptoms right alongside everything else in my tracker. Seeing it all in one place is what made the vestibular connection obvious to me: Migraine Tracker & Journal

Since sleep quality and hydration both tie into this pattern too, it's worth tracking your nights alongside it: Sleep Tracker & Journal

You're not imagining the connection between dizziness and your migraines. It's a small clue that often points to a much bigger pattern, and tracking it is the first step toward taking back control.

— Gotham Supply NY

🌈 Looking for more wellness journals and trackers?

Browse the full Gotham Supply NY collection on Amazon — sleep trackers, migraine journals, symptom trackers, budget planners and more. All designed to help you understand your daily patterns and take back control.

→ See all journals by Christina Vitarella on Amazon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stress-Hormone Connection Behind Your Migraines

Why Magnesium Might Be the Missing Piece in Your Migraine Pattern