What to Bring to Your Migraine Doctor Visit, According to My Neurologist
I used to walk into every neurology appointment with nothing but a vague sense of "it's been bad lately." No dates. No specifics. Just a general feeling that things weren't going well, which is not exactly useful information for the person trying to help you.
It took me embarrassingly long to realize that the doctor isn't in the room with me when the migraines happen. They only know what I tell them. And "it's been bad lately" tells them almost nothing.
So I started bringing my tracker to every appointment. Here's what's actually on that list now, and why each piece matters.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
1. Your tracked symptom history
Not just "I get migraines." Specifics: how often, how long they last, where the pain is located, what it feels like. Throbbing and stabbing point to different things. A migraine that starts behind one eye reads differently than one that wraps the whole skull. This is the information that actually shapes a diagnosis or treatment plan, and it's nearly impossible to remember accurately after the fact.
2. Your trigger patterns
This is the one I used to skip entirely, because I didn't think I had "real" triggers. Turns out almost everyone does, you just need enough data to see them. Weather shifts, skipped meals, poor sleep, stress, hormonal timing — these patterns only show up when you're tracking consistently for weeks, not guessing after the fact.
3. Your sleep data
This is the one most people forget, and it's one of the most useful things you can bring. Sleep and migraines are deeply connected, and a doctor who only hears "I'm tired" can't do much with that. A doctor who sees that your migraines cluster on the days following less than six hours of sleep, or after a string of inconsistent bedtimes, has something concrete to work with.
4. Your current medication list
Not just migraine medication. Everything. Supplements, birth control, anything you're taking regularly. Migraine treatment can interact with other medications in ways that aren't always obvious, and your doctor needs the full picture to make safe recommendations.
5. Your specific questions
Appointments move fast. It is incredibly easy to leave with half your questions unanswered because you forgot them the second you sat down. Write them out beforehand. Even three or four written questions can completely change how useful an appointment feels.
Why this actually works
The first time I brought a few weeks of tracked entries to an appointment, my neurologist looked through them and said it was the most useful thing a patient had brought in in a long time. Not because the entries were perfect or detailed in some clinical way. Just because they were specific, dated, and honest.
That appointment changed how my treatment plan was approached, simply because there was real data instead of a vague impression.
What I use to track all of this
I keep all of this in one place so I'm never digging through notes apps or trying to remember details under pressure in a waiting room. This is the tracker I bring to every appointment: Migraine Tracker & Journal
If sleep is part of your pattern too, which it almost always is, this pairs well with it: Sleep Tracker & Journal
You don't need months of data before your next appointment. Even two or three weeks of honest entries gives your doctor something real to work with, instead of a guess.
— Gotham Supply NY
🌈 Looking for more wellness journals and trackers?
Browse the full Gotham Supply NY collection on Amazon — sleep trackers, migraine journals, symptom trackers, budget planners and more. All designed to help you understand your daily patterns and take back control.
Comments
Post a Comment